Spring Maintenance Checklist
As a homeowner, it's easy to get caught up in your every day routine and schedule. However, it is important to keep your home in top condition to avoid problems in the future. At D.J.'s Painting and Remodeling, we understand you may not have the time, tools or perhaps skill to get your home ready for the upcoming weather. That's why we offer quality maintenance services to help you keep up! Contact us here to get an estimate to complete your Spring Maintenance checklist.
If you do have the time, tools and skill to keep your home in good condition, read on!
- Gutters and downspouts: Remove leaves and debris and reattach gutters that have pulled away from the house. Run a hose on the roof and check for proper drainage. If leaks exist, dry the area and use caulking or epoxy to seal the leak. If new gutter are necessary, call D.J.’s Painting & Remodeling, Inc. for a free estimate.
- Siding: Clean siding with a pressure washer to keep mold from growing. Check all wood surfaces for weathering and paint failure. If wood is showing through, sand the immediate area and apply a primer coat before painting. If paint is peeling, scrape loose paint and sand smooth before painting. If this is happening more than just a few spots, it may be time to repaint your house. Again, call us for a free estimate.
- Exterior caulking: Scrape out all of the eroding caulk and recaulk needed area.
- Window sills, door sills, and thresholds: Fill cracks, caulk edges, touch up paint or replace if necessary. If you not sure if replacement needed, call our office at 309-452-9643 to have one of our project managers give you their expert advice.
- Window and door screens: Clean your screens and check for holes (If holes are bigger than a quarter, there is plenty of room for bugs to climb in!) Patch holes or replace the screen. Tighten or repair any loose or damaged frames and repaint. Replace any broken, worn, or missing hardware. Tighten and lubricate door hinges and closers.
- Drain waste and vent system: Flush out system.
- Hot water heater: Lubricate circulating pump and motor.
- Evaporative air conditioner: Clean unit, check belt tension and adjust if needed. Replace cracked or worn belt.
- Heat pump: Lubricate blower motor.
- Foundation: Check foundation walls, floors, concrete, and masonry for cracking, heaving, or deterioration. If a significant number of bricks are losing their mortar, call us to schedule an appointment to estimate repair. (If you can slide a nickel into a crack in your concrete floor, slab or foundation, call us immediately!)
- Roof: Inspect roof surface, flashing, eaves, and soffits. Perform a thorough cleaning. Check flashings around all surface projections and sidewalls **It is incredibly important to be gentle when cleaning asphalt shingles so as not to inadvertently destroy a layer of protection and reduce the lifespan of your roof. Call D.J.'s Painting & Remodeling, Inc. to do this if you are unsure.
- Deck and porches: Check all decks, patios, porches, stairs, and railings for loose boards and/or deterioration. Open decks and wood fences need to be treated every 3-5 years, depending on how much exposure they get to sun and rain. If the stain doesn’t look like it should or water has turned some of the wood a dark grey, call us at 309-452-9643 to treat your deck and fence.
- Landscape: Cut back and trim all vegetation and overgrown bushes from structures. Limbs and leaves can cut into your home’s paint and also trapping moisture which is the ideal environment for mold.
- Sprinklers: Check lawn sprinkler system for leaky valves, exposed lines, and improperly working sprinkler heads. If there is an area of your yard that collects too much water or doesn’t get enough, run the sprinklers to figure out the problem. If it’s not something you can fix yourself, call a D.J.’s Painting & Remodeling, inc. before summer hits.
As always, we are only a call away if you need help with anything in your home.