For many, in-laws are the hardest people to please. From the moment you were introduced as the girlfriend or boyfriend, they have always been a little “judgy”. So….what exactly are they judging when they visit your home? Whether a holiday or surprise visit, here are some key items to keep in mind before your in-laws arrive.
· Unique displays on your shelves, fireplace mantel, bookcase, etc reflects what is important to you. Take a few minutes to really consider what you have out. Does it tell a person what you most value, or does your home look like it was runner up in a design magazine? Make sure you keep it practical, real and most important- keep it you. One-of-a-kind displays may even jump start a funny story or two, so go ahead and keep that pink penguin on display.
· Clever storage of game systems, controllers, microphones and headsets can transform a chaotic game room into a nice, organized gathering area. For example the controllers, games and accessories can be stored in a fabric-lined wicker basket next to the TV. You don’t necessarily need to have a cover on this; you don’t want them to think you’re a boring family, just a fun and organized one!
· Rolling out a new entry rug in the foyer can help give off a warm, welcoming vibe that your in-laws are expecting. During the initial greetings between everybody, your guests take a few moments to take a peek around while you take their coats. You may want to consider repainting the entry walls and putting up some new artwork to gain a fresh and hospitable atmosphere. If they are impressed by the new tones, they won’t notice much else!
· Making comfortable sleeping arrangements can be a stressful task, especially if you have more than a few overnight guests. If your in-laws are staying the night, they have many hours to stew over a bumpy or flat pillow. Make sure you offer a few different pillow choices. Also, make sure you bring out your big, cozy and fresh towels for them to bask in. Nothing worse than drying off with a drab towel in the morning!
· Decorate your home with an open mind. Your in-laws have been around longer than you have, so they have seen just about all the traditional decorations out there. Although it’s comforting to find those same decorations in another’s home, showing off some creativity and originality can be quite refreshing! Search though online magazines and photos to spark your imagination. For example, try wrapping your cabinet doors in ribbons as if they were a present or making your own garland or wreath.
This holiday season, adjust those things that can help get-togethers with the in-laws go just a little smoother, giving you time to discuss the important issues... like your parenting... or cooking skills.